Flub it up I did!
I recently read about altering notebook covers in Somerset Magazine. It isn't a new concept for me, but it reminded me of something and sparked my creativity.
Andrea Ockey Parr has a spread in the most recent issue describing her technique for making a collage and sewing it onto a notebook cover. I have taken small notebooks and painted/collaged the covers. I had not tried sewing a collaged or painted piece created separately onto a cover.
It reminded me that I have a stash of dollar spot notebooks I purchased years ago. I had a plan at the time that I never realized. They are 8" x 8" square and have 16 thin pages each. They were geared for children to create their own story books.
So I got to work.
I cut the square notebooks down to about 5 1/2" wide and made a couple pieces of messy mixed media I would cut to size. My goal was to create a couple of mailable journals or letter books one could share or exchange with a friend. I wanted to make sure they would fit into a 6" x 9" envelope.
Everything was going great. I made tabs from the cut-offs of the art pieces. I adhered the artwork to the cover with some adhesive to keep it in place when I sewed them together. I stapled the tabs onto two sheets of paper making the end product 8 pages long. I didn't adhere the inner pages together. That decision worked out perfectly as they can serve has pockets to hold hidden surprises up to 5" x 7".
I'm not a seamstress.
Sewing the new covers on was a challenge. I've had great success sewing paper, but have no idea what to do when it isn't. I had so much bunching on the inside of the second notebook that I ripped the thread out in frustration and decided to let it be. I have more notebooks and will have many more opportunities to sew covers.
In the meantime, I Googled for solutions and I have decided to try again after rethreading my sewing machine and doing some practice with different settings.
Mistaeks are Mandatory!